Monday, October 9, 2017

Multicultural Mathematics

I am currently contemplating how to teach Math in a way that includes multicultural appreciation.  A large part of me wants more time on task for my students, since as a whole American students are behind many of their global peers mathematically.  How do I teach this subject in a way that opens young minds to ethnic and cultural diversity but doesn’t take valuable time away from learning math?

One way is to point out what countries are outperforming American students in math to show my students that they can learn better ways of doing things from other cultures.  Coupling this with some best math practices from other countries can give students a greater appreciation for other cultures.  The Common Core Method of Multiplication is actually known as the Chinese Lattice Method of Multiplication. I learned that cultural fact today.  I have previously taught this method to some of my students without the appropriate cultural footnote.

Although it is beyond me at this time, a third way is utilizing culturally diverse word problems would be great.  Currently, my bank of word problems does not possess that diversity.  Over time, I could create word problems that include multicultural names of people and diverse settings.  When combined with the previous ways that I mentioned, multiculturalism could be promoted without taking time off task.

Although I possess a Master’s degree in Intercultural Studies and value diversity, imparting my passion in a math lesson plan is still in the concept stage.  However, I will say that I enjoy using French, Spanish, and Portuguese to compliment my students’ excellent math performances.  Students respond “I don’t know what you just said.”  So I explain.  After a while, older students translate me for new students.  And on days where we don’t have a lot of math to do, I have been known to engage my class in discussions on cultural stereotyping and ethnic jokes and how they affect others.  My students know that I was born in Germany, lived for two and half years in Hawaii, and travel each year outside of the U.S.  So I do impart my love of other cultures to my students, but not necessarily in ways that fit into a math lesson.  But I am learning.

How do I measure my students' growth in cultural competence?  I don’t and I am not sure that I ever will since math is my focus.  But I do take note that my students ask me how to say things in other languages, how and why I learned different languages, and about the countries to which I’ve been.  As long as I spark curiosity in them about other cultures, I feel that to some degree that I am expanding their horizons in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment