Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Pre-Assessment and Differentiation

As a novice teacher (only in my third year), I keep learning things in my TEACH-NOW program that meet needs I am noticing in my classes.  Like, what do you do when you’ve taught the lesson and given the quiz, and 85% of your class is ready to move on, but 15% really can’t afford to move on?  And 15% of the first group was ready to move on before you even taught the lesson?  What I am learning is that proactive pre-assessment and differentiation are important elements that can prevent the problem I just described.

Pre-assessment activities can be a short quiz or question and answer time with the class before beginning a new unit.   I developed a unit for teaching 6th-graders arithmetic operations involving decimals and made a pre-assessment quiz using Quizlet.  The goal of this assessment is to determine which students already know the material in this lesson, which students are ready to learn this material, and which students may need the lesson broken down into step-by-step directions.

Hypothetically, after the pre-assessment, I determine that I have:
  • 5 students who answered most, including the most difficult, of the pre-assessment questions correctly (Group I)
  • 12 students who have some knowledge about the topic as shown in their score, but need to develop higher order thinking skills (Group 2), and
  • 5 students who appear to have limited knowledge about the topic
After administering the pre-assessment, I can now move forward with the unit by providing the appropriate instruction and activities for the needs of the three different groups (differentiation).
(The concepts are adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimals and recognizing that decimals are really fractions.)  Students in Group I will focus mainly on complex problems: (problems that involve adding four decimals, or that require adding and subtracting multiple decimals, positive and negative decimals, word problems, and SAT problems involving decimals). Students in Group II will focus mainly on medium level problems (problems with three decimals added, subtracted or multiplied and word problems involving decimals). Students in Group I will focus equally on easy and medium level problems with light exposure to word problems involving decimals. Each lesson has an accompanying quiz, and each day will have entrance/exit tickets to assess each student's progress (See mindmap).

Pre-assessment and differentiation are things I am learning that have the potential of maximizing my effectiveness as a teacher.

Resources

MacMeekin, M. (2017, September 02). 27 Ways To Assess Background Knowledge. Retrieved 
     December 19, 2017, from https://www.teachthought.com/pedagogy/27-ways-assess-background-
     knowledge/
Pendergrass, E. (2013, December). Differentiation: It Starts with Pre-Assessment. Retrieved 
     December 19, 2017, from 
     http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational_leadership/dec13/vol71/num04/
     Differentiation@_It_Starts_with_Pre-Assessment.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment